[Pdns-users] Building for windows

Todd Nine todd at spidertracks.co.nz
Tue Jul 21 10:36:36 UTC 2009

Hey guys,
   We're working on implementing geographically dispersed  system and
we need a geo IP DNS system.  From all the raving reviews for
PowerDNS, it seems to be the best choice.  I'm attempting to build it,
but I have a few questions.

I downloaded the latest release pdns 2.9.22, but it doesn't have the
powerdns.dsw file.  I found this in the trunk of the subversion tree.
Can I just check out this file, or do I need the whole source tree
from svn to build on Windows?  If I need the whole tree, where is the
tag for 2.9.22 (or an svn revision number)?

We currently use MsSQL as our DB server.  If we create the required
table and use the ODBC backend, can our applications update dns
records directly in the db for PowerDNS to use?  In other words, as
nodes go online and offline for upgrades and maintenance, I'd like to
dynamically add and remove records for our "www" subdomain from our
own custom applications.  Do I need to signal powerdns in any way to
reload records from the db once they're been changed from a different
application?

Thanks in advance,

todd
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

todd nine | spidertracks ltd |  117a the square
po box 5203 | palmerston north 4441 | new zealand
P: +64 6 353 3395 | M: +64 210 255 8576
E: todd at spidertracks.co.nz W: www.spidertracks.com