[Pdns-users] Why prefer recursor answers over auth Authoritative answers?

David Sparks dave at ca.sophos.com
Fri Feb 6 22:31:06 UTC 2009

Sean Boran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot answer the recursive query, but I'm am also designing a setup
> to replace Bind with split zones. The idea was to replace bind entirely.
> Maybe we should share some design ideas?

Sure, my setup is a bit different.  I am setting up dns for a company lan that
has segments in 6 countries.  I am using powerdns only for internal dns, the
external dns is handled by different servers.

powerdns port 53, geo and mysql backends
custom geo-ip-map-zonefile that maps rfc1918 internal addresses to countries
mysql backend provides internal ips of split horizon zone
distributor-threads=8

recursor localhost port 53 for resolving internet addresses

expected load is 2000 queries per second (60% of queries are for internal hosts)

I have some more questions if anyone can help please:

The mysql backend only has 50% key efficiency, that means one of the queries
it makes is using a non-indexed column.  Is this intentional?

What are common values for distributor-threads?

If distributor-threads is set too low and is stalling powerdns will there be a
message logged warning about this condition?

Thanks,

ds