[Pdns-users] Problems with domain XFR after certain TXT records added

Jason Weber jweber at host.net
Mon Feb 23 20:33:45 UTC 2009

I have a customer that recently requested a TXT record to be added to their zone and our NOC staff obliged, however it was noticed that after that record was put in place domain transfers would no longer go through. I have included the record data below for troubleshooting purposes as well as responses I am getting when the record is put in place.

Record data is : "k=rsa\; p=MFwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADSwAwSAJBANN7f35vhf6vGk1OuqKwe1Dq0l2jg+b8LP0cGBlL8jvtHjLJ0eWB8lvbEyOgcrS0rcLZV0GIYolzhGA/q2B7N50CAwEAAQ=="

Whenever an AXFR is run from an allowed IP it returns the following, as though the connection was denied:

dig @ns1.host.net newsmax.com AXFR
;; Connection to 2001:5b8:1::1#53(2001:5b8:1::1) for newsmax.com failed: permission denied.

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> @ns1.host.net newsmax.com AXFR
; (2 servers found)
;; global options:  printcmd
newsmax.com.            3600    IN      SOA     ns1.host.net. root.host.net. 2009022200 10800 3600 604800 3600
;; communications error to 64.135.1.22#53: end of file

However, when that 1 record is removed everything functions as normal. I am at a complete loss as to what in this record data could be causing this strange behavior, any ideas?

Jason Weber
Systems Engineer
Host.net, a BroadbandONE Company
Support: 561-869-6100 Option 2

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the individual to whom or entity to which it is addressed. It may also contain privileged, confidential, attorney work product or trade secret information which is protected by law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the addressee, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone or return electronic mail