[Pdns-users] PowerDNS + LDAP + Tree mode -- further documentation available?

Kumba kumba at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 16 19:49:30 UTC 2009

Been teaching myself about LDAP, PowerDNS and such since I got this odd bug to
try and setup a home DNS server.  I wanted to use LDAP because at my work, I use
Novell's eDirectory-backed DNS stuff, and found it pretty nifty.  I Figured this
is a pretty good setup to mirror that using available open source software, plus
it'll teach me a few new technologies.

However, I don't seem to be making much headway in getting PwerDNS to actually
return valid answers.  Two problems seem apparent:

- It's not able to find my domains in LDAP, but it is searching the right
containers.  I setup LDAP to mimic the old-style rootdn of o=organization over
dc=domain,dc=com, out of habit of being used to eDirectory (plus it's for
personal use, so no real harm I figure).  Doubt this is a cause, though.  I
think instead that I have something mis-configured in PowerDNS - OR

- I have something mis-configured in LDAP.  Either an access rights issue for
anonymous binds, or I'm not specifying things properly in LDAP.  I opted for
Tree-mode, as it reportedly gives better performance (even though I really don't
need it, but challenges are fun), and I'm using dnsDomain2 for PTRRecord support
and reverse lookups.

Part of the problem, I think, is I don't think I have this so-called "AA Bit"
set.  I've never really gotten in too deep into DNS configurations (Blame
eDirectory for making it too easy), so I'm not sure where this configured.
SOARecord, I figure.  Or in the ARecord for the Nameserver field?  Not sure.

But as my subject line indicates, there's not a whole lot of information on
PowerDNS + LDAP configs it seems.  I've found a small handful of pages, but it
seems a solid layout describing tree-mode is really rare.  Looking to see if
anyone has properly set this particular setup up before and can maybe highlight
what I might be doing wrong/backwards or point me to a wiki or something.

Thanks!,

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS
kumba at gentoo.org

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And our
lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic