[Pdns-users] Round robin DNS

Sean Boran sean at boran.com
Mon Feb 2 09:56:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm evaluating pdns to replace a few bind servers that have been running for
years on Solaris.
The mysql backend is great and is the main reason for the move.

Once feature I need is a way of doing round-robin DNS, I searched and found
this discussion:
http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2003-December/000909.html<pdns-users@mailman.powerdns.com>

but the "rrhelper" that is referenced is not to be found.

The idea is that if one does an "nslookup proxy.mydomain", each time a
different answer is given back from a list of IP addresses.
This allows loading sharing and a limited failover.

Am I right in saying that there is no support for this, but one would write
a script that checks for some failover conditional (e.g. one of my proxies
down), and then updated the "proxy" A record in pds via an SQL update?

Thanks in advance,

Sean