[Pdns-users] Slaves aren't fetching zones fast enough.

Tyler Hall tyler at tylerhall.net
Thu Oct 9 23:51:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Brendan Oakley <gentux2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once you corrected the problem with the master, it was up to you to
> initiate the AXFR. Either by forcing a retrieve from the slave, or
> sending a notify from the master. That should clear that up.
>
> The evidence you have presented would seem to suggest a malfunction,
> rather than a limit. There is no reason to expect all 50,000 zones to
> be checked at the same time every 30 minutes. I have seen a few cases
> where a zone just stopped trying to update, but it was not a server
> with very many zones, so it would not seem to have to do with being
> able to keep up with the number of domains. I can't seem to find a
> reliable way to reproduce it, but my guess is it had to do with being
> a "hidden" slave and the master was not reachable when it was trying
> to retrieve it. Making strategic use of notifies, or forcing a
> retrieval of zones when you know they need it, should take care of
> these cases.

Thanks for the email.    I don't explain it to do a check every 30 minutes,
I think my expire is 8 hours so even if it doesn't receive a NOTIFY/XFER, it
should check the domains every 8 hours.

However, when an existing domain is in the system, my master nameserver
will send NOTIFY/XFER requests, but the powerdns slaves are so backed up,
they don't do anything about it.

I can see if I can get further logs of a NOTIFY being sent, and then when
the pdns slave grabs it.