[Pdns-users] Recursor 3.1.6-1 fork issue.

Brad Dameron brad.dameron at clearwire.com
Thu Oct 16 19:54:27 UTC 2008

So we use the fork command with the recursor which appears to improve
performamce. But what I have noticed is that the forked process appears
to get most of the requests as shown here:

Primary:
rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor1/ --socket-pid=20858 get
all-outqueries
180275

Fork:
rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor1/ --socket-pid=20859 get
all-outqueries
1446331

Primary:
rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor2/ --socket-pid=20862 get
all-outqueries
147774

Fork:
rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor2/ --socket-pid=20863 get
all-outqueries
1464076

I have 2 servers each running two daemons in a forked configuration.
Each daemon has it's own IP. These are then all load-balanced with
Foundry SI400's. All of them show this.

I know the forking was just a hack, and it does seem to improve
performance. Is this just how this works and I should just let it be or
is it not sharing the load?

Thanks.

Brad Dameron
Senior Systems Engineer