[Pdns-users] Bind8 migration to PowerDNS - SERVFAIL vs NOERROR ?

Augie Schwer Augie at Schwer.us
Wed May 28 23:41:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Jaco Engelbrecht
<bje at serendipity.org.za> wrote:
>  1) Has anyone done a migration like this before (bind9->pdns using
> supermaster/also-notify vs. the manual import of each zone), and is there
> anything that you'd could advise me of to watch out for, anything that could
> bite us?

PowerDNS domains do not expire like Bind domains do, so the Super
Master setup will work great for importing everything into PowerDNS
the first time, but after that domains will expire on the Bind side,
but never leave the PowerDNS side.

We did a Bind to PowerDNS migration and I found the best thing to do
was to put hooks into your existing add/remove domain management
system for adding and removing domains to/from the PowerDNS back-end
and using notifies to signal changes in the zone on the master.

--
Augie Schwer    -    Augie at Schwer.us    -    http://schwer.us