[Pdns-users] NS caching bug reappears in recursor 3.1.6

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Sat May 17 15:48:07 UTC 2008

Hi Bert,

> Darren - do you have a sample domain that exhibits this problem right
> now?
>
> This will help me investigate.
>
> Thanks!

OK.  Well, you can easily see this behavior on pretty much any domain,
although the behavior doesn't cause an issue except in some unusual
cases.  The situation I described is simply the one that results in many
calls to our call center.

To illustrate, on my own domain:

$ dig a sol.truespace.ca @localhost
sol.truespace.ca.       60      IN      A       64.59.129.20
$ dig ns truespace.ca @localhost
;; ANSWER SECTION:
truespace.ca.           93595   IN      NS      ns1.truespace.ca.
truespace.ca.           93595   IN      NS      ns2.truespace.ca.

Auth TTL is 93600.  If we continue querying in the next 60 seconds, we
see the TTL of all of these decrease, as expected.  But when the A
record expires, and we query it again,

$ dig a sol.truespace.ca @localhost
sol.truespace.ca.       60      IN      A       64.59.129.20
$ dig ns truespace.ca @localhost
;; ANSWER SECTION:
truespace.ca.           93598   IN      NS      ns1.truespace.ca.
truespace.ca.           93598   IN      NS      ns2.truespace.ca.

Note how the cache's NS TTL was "reset" due to the query of the A
record.  If you try this on 3.1.4, the NS records don't get recached.
They would properly expire in 93600 seconds, and would eventually result
in the cache contacting the SLD/registrar servers to re-get the NS
records for the domain.

Darren Gamble
Systems Architect, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP