[Pdns-users] Re: Latency and cache size are correlated

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Sun May 4 11:34:13 UTC 2008

"Chet Nichols III" <chet.nichols at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Eugene-
> I know you have a few issues you're trying to tackle- but I'm going to try
> to focus on this one: ..you currently have people making recursive lookups
> through your authoritative nameserver? Just making sure I'm reading that
> right. If so, I don't entirely understand your reasoning- if you could
> explain it again (in possibly a different way), we might be able to help
> you come up with a better solution to split authoritative vs recursive
> lookups so you're not mixing.

Once both recursive clients and name registries know about an IP
address of a name server, you're pretty much stuck with doing both
recursion and being authoritative.

If it's a significant number of domains, especially with different
registries, changing their NS addresses is a huge pain -- and telling
clients to change their choice of recursive servers is basically
impossible.

/Benny