[Pdns-users] powerdns auth and recursor hardware specs

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Sun May 4 05:44:21 UTC 2008

>> Btw. you can just run your recursor on 127.0.0.1:53 and bind the
>> pdns-server to your external address, that way you can add your local
>> recursor to you resolv.conf on the local host.
Nice tip- I like that. Been doing something similar for some other services,
but never considered it for this situation, even though it all technically
works the same regardless of what daemon(s) its for- not as open minded as I
should be :)

Chet

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Stefan Schmidt <stefan.schmidt at freenet.ag>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:16:53PM -0700, Eugene Pefti wrote:
> > What is the value your max-cache-entries set to, Brendan?
> > I set it to 40000 looking at the graph "Cache sizes". The curve for
> cache
> > sizes is slowly rising above 40k. But I would be worried because there
> are
> > about 400 MB free of RAM
>
> You should be able to safely set the max-cache-entries to 1000000 (one
> million) that is a value myself and many other large recursor site
> owners found to be a good default for most busy recursors. 40k might be
> just to few entries so your performance problems might be related to the
> high churn rate your cache experiences.
> On linux/i386 we found the one million records to take roughly 200 MB RSS
> and
> its about 1.6 times that much on the amd64 platform in 64 bit mode.
>
> > Playing with recursive-cache-ttl seems to me more worthwhile too. I set
> it
> > to 600 for now to see it improves anything.
>
> If that does improve your situation then this might be another indicator
> that your recursors max-cache-entries is just too low.
> Btw. you can just run your recursor on 127.0.0.1:53 and bind the
> pdns-server to your external address, that way you can add your local
> recursor to you resolv.conf on the local host.
>
>        Stefan
> --
> /* This is total bullshit: */
>        linux-2.6.6/drivers/video/sis/init301.c