[Pdns-users] powerdns auth and recursor hardware specs

Stefan Schmidt stefan.schmidt at freenet.ag
Thu May 1 15:28:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:16:53PM -0700, Eugene Pefti wrote:
> What is the value your max-cache-entries set to, Brendan?
> I set it to 40000 looking at the graph "Cache sizes". The curve for cache
> sizes is slowly rising above 40k. But I would be worried because there are
> about 400 MB free of RAM

You should be able to safely set the max-cache-entries to 1000000 (one
million) that is a value myself and many other large recursor site
owners found to be a good default for most busy recursors. 40k might be
just to few entries so your performance problems might be related to the
high churn rate your cache experiences.
On linux/i386 we found the one million records to take roughly 200 MB RSS and
its about 1.6 times that much on the amd64 platform in 64 bit mode.

> Playing with recursive-cache-ttl seems to me more worthwhile too. I set it
> to 600 for now to see it improves anything.

If that does improve your situation then this might be another indicator
that your recursors max-cache-entries is just too low.
Btw. you can just run your recursor on 127.0.0.1:53 and bind the
pdns-server to your external address, that way you can add your local
recursor to you resolv.conf on the local host.

	Stefan
--
/* This is total bullshit: */
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/video/sis/init301.c