[Pdns-users] TinyDNS backend for PowerDNS

Duane duane at e164.org
Mon Mar 17 22:26:22 UTC 2008

Brad Dameron wrote:
> I am currently converting to PDNS from BIND9. I have zone files ranging
> in the 32+ MB range. Do people suggest using the BIND backend or using
> the MySQL one? I am looking at doing a SuperMaster that updates 4 slave
> servers. 2 servers in each location are behind a hardware load balancer.

This is one of the bigger downsides we found with PDNS, although you
will probably have more resources at your disposal than we do so your
options will no doubt be greater. However that said I'm in the middle of
testing a replacement DNS server we coded ourselves because PDNS lacks
decent native replication and update mechanisms.

PDNS has no support for incremental zone updates, only complete zone
transfers, so large zone transfers from MySQL etc is very CPU heavy,
most of the replication is left up to the back ends, ie MySQL or LDAP etc

PDNS works great on small zones using AXFR's, on much larger zones
things fall down pretty quickly.

The jist of this post is, if you can't easily run MySQL/LDAP replication
then PowerDNS isn't the best option that I would recommend.

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://www.freeauth.org - Enterprise Two Factor Authentication
http://e164.org - Because e164.arpa is a tax on VoIP

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."