[Pdns-users] TinyDNS backend for PowerDNS

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Mar 15 13:30:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:17:58AM +1100, Duane wrote:
> bert hubert wrote:
>
> > This is because PowerDNS internally makes 'backend queries', not 'dns
> > queries'. This in turn is because we want to free the backend from knowing
> > about DNS logic - otherwise it would have to follow CNAME chains etc.
>
> There is a difference between dumbing things down and making a dumb
> interface, knowing the dns type requested doesn't mean you have to know
> DNS logic to the nth degree.

Duane - I suggest you ponder it all a bit. We thought long and hard about
how to separate the backend from the frontend, and this really is the only
way to do it.

It is in fact a very smart interface, one that has proven its worth over the
past 7 years.

I'm unhappy it doesn't match your needs though, but perhaps you want
something else. Basically you get a lot of ANY queries, instead of queries
for the exact type requested. This turns out to be a large speedup, but it
may hurt you.

	Bert