[Pdns-users] Supermaster & Slaves - Supermaster has to be a listed NS?

Mathew Hennessy pdns at unixslave.com
Thu Mar 13 14:29:42 UTC 2008

Nicholas.Orr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I managed to get supermaster working again. One question though.
>
> Does the server that is supermaster have to be listed in a NS record for
> the
> zone being delegated to the Slave?
>
> I was hoping I could setup
> ns1 - primary - slave
> ns2 - secondary - slave
> ns3 - extra -slave
> ns4 - supermaster

I've been testing pdns (with an entirely different set of issues preventing
me from running a master on Solaris SPARC) and as long as the supermaster
was listed in the SOA I've been able to have it AXFR to slaves that are
defined as NS records, as long as each host is configured with the hostname
in pdns.  I do not have the supermaster in a NS record, only in the SOA.