[Pdns-users] Bind to pdns: A few remarks/questions

Rudolph Bott rb at megabit.net
Sun Jan 27 16:47:18 UTC 2008

Hugo van der Kooij schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I got the logging bit. But the transition is running into some odd
> things. Part of which is bind acting up and that was the prime reason
> for moving away from bind.
>
> ~ 1. It seems bind was happy with $ttl in a zone file but zone2sql fails
> on it. Someone might want to trigger just a warning instead of a failure
> if that happens.
>
> ~ 2. I notice that zone2sql always makes a zone NATIVE where I guess some
> people may want to make them MASTER instead. Not a big issue but one
> might make it user selectable.
>
> ~ 3. I do not understand the bit in the appendix (A.5.1) about:
> CONSTRAINT `records_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`domain_id`) REFERENCES
> `domains` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE
If you use the gmysql backend and InnoDB as table engine, you can use
the foreign-keys support in MySQL. The statement above "connects" the
key domain_id in the records table to the primary key "id" in the
domains table.
When you try to delete a domain from the domains table, all entries in
the records table that reference this domain via domain_id will be
deleted, too. This prevents stray entries in the records table and keeps
your relations constistent - if you don't use this feature (e.g. because
you use the MyIsam table engine) you have to make sure that your
dns/database management tool takes care of deleting those records.

> Unfortunatly my prime expert for database matters was a brother that
> should have celebrated his 47th birthday today. So I need to direct
> those questions elsewhere now.
>
> ~ 4. Are names supposed to end with a dot if they are relative names?
>
> In bind I have lines like:
> anfalas                 IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
> anfalas.ipv6            IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
> anfalas                 IN      A       82.95.223.25
> anfalas.ipv4            IN      A       82.95.223.25
>
> But in pdns this gets converted to:
> anfalas.                3600    IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
> anfalas.ipv6.           3600    IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
> anfalas.                3600    IN      A       82.95.223.25
> anfalas.ipv4.           3600    IN      A       82.95.223.25
>
> I would guess this is an error on the side of the zone2sql program as it
> creates these entries with a dot. I was under the distinct impression
> that an ending dot means it is an absolute name and not one relative to
> the zone.
I'm not exactly sure but I *think* that you have to provide the name of
the zone as command line parameter when you use zone2sql to do the
conversion. In my case I had a folder full of bind zone files where the
file names represented the domain. So I did something like:

for i in *
do
  zone2sql --gmysql --zone=$i --zone-name=$i
done

Put that in a simple shell script and redirect its output in some
zones.sql (or whatever) file. As far as I can remember this is what
worked for me!