[Pdns-users] Bind to pdns: A few remarks/questions

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jan 27 16:24:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

I got the logging bit. But the transition is running into some odd
things. Part of which is bind acting up and that was the prime reason
for moving away from bind.

~ 1. It seems bind was happy with $ttl in a zone file but zone2sql fails
on it. Someone might want to trigger just a warning instead of a failure
if that happens.

~ 2. I notice that zone2sql always makes a zone NATIVE where I guess some
people may want to make them MASTER instead. Not a big issue but one
might make it user selectable.

~ 3. I do not understand the bit in the appendix (A.5.1) about:
CONSTRAINT `records_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`domain_id`) REFERENCES
`domains` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE

Unfortunatly my prime expert for database matters was a brother that
should have celebrated his 47th birthday today. So I need to direct
those questions elsewhere now.

~ 4. Are names supposed to end with a dot if they are relative names?

In bind I have lines like:
anfalas                 IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
anfalas.ipv6            IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
anfalas                 IN      A       82.95.223.25
anfalas.ipv4            IN      A       82.95.223.25

But in pdns this gets converted to:
anfalas.                3600    IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
anfalas.ipv6.           3600    IN      AAAA    2001:888:10fa::1
anfalas.                3600    IN      A       82.95.223.25
anfalas.ipv4.           3600    IN      A       82.95.223.25

I would guess this is an error on the side of the zone2sql program as it
creates these entries with a dot. I was under the distinct impression
that an ending dot means it is an absolute name and not one relative to
the zone.

Hugo.

- --