[Pdns-users] Problem with powerdns(master) -> bind(slave)

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Mon Jan 21 17:29:00 UTC 2008

Anton,

First, I would recommend using 2.9.21 instead of 2.9.20 because
of a resource problem with TCP connections that causes zone transfers
to fail. Restarting the pdns server will get it working again. Second,
PowerDNS assumes that all information in the DB backend is correct
per the RFC and it just presents it to the world. If your data is
bogus, then when Bind DNS attempts to perform a zone transfer, it will
fail because of the checking performed. Typical bad data is having
another record for lookup with the same key as a CNAME record. The
RFC says that a CNAME record must be unique. Other items that have
bit us are keys that are not the FQDN or that are empty. We have
added triggers to prevent the insertion of this bogus data and our
zone transfers have not had any problems.

Good luck cleaning your data and removing the ability to add bogus
data in the future.

Cheers,
Ken