[Pdns-users] Problem with notifies for a domain - the server that sends notification sometimes is and sometimes is not a master.

Brendan Oakley gentux2 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 16:05:50 UTC 2008

Hi Pawel,

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Pawel Sawicki <pjs at pjs.name> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a pdns installation that is both a master and a slave (for
> different domains, of course). Unfortunately for some of the domains
> (the master is the BIND9) I get the following behavior (log extract):
>
> #v+
> Received NOTIFY for example.com from X.X.X.X which is not a master
> Received NOTIFY for example.com from master X.X.X.X, we are up to date: Y<=Y
> Received NOTIFY for example.com from X.X.X.X which is not a master
> #v-
>
> Since I wanted to debug it the other party is continuously sending
> notifies every 60 seconds. Those three events happened during three
> consecutive minutes. The number of failed notifies is, however, by an
> order of magnitude bigger than those successful ones.
>
> The domain is defined the following way (bind backend):
>
> #v+
> zone "example.com" IN {
>        type slave;
>        masters { X.X.X.X; };
>        file ".../example.com.zone";
> };
> #v-
>
> Commands such as 'pdns_control retrieve example.com' work just fine,
> apart from the notification issue, the domain works as it should.
>
> Could anyone share a light on my issue?
>
> I am using the following version of pdns:
>
> #v+
> # pdns_control version
> 2.9.21.1
> #v-

Not sure why it would say it is not the master when it is, but the
note that it is up to date means the serial on the slave is higher
than the one on the master. Compare the serials to confirm. In fact
you might want to post the SOA lines from both the master and the
slave, it might reveal something.

Brendan