[Pdns-users] Problem with notifies for a domain - the server that sends notification sometimes is and sometimes is not a master.

Pawel Sawicki pjs at pjs.name
Sat Aug 30 12:52:41 UTC 2008

Hi.

I have a pdns installation that is both a master and a slave (for
different domains, of course). Unfortunately for some of the domains
(the master is the BIND9) I get the following behavior (log extract):

#v+
Received NOTIFY for example.com from X.X.X.X which is not a master
Received NOTIFY for example.com from master X.X.X.X, we are up to date: Y<=Y
Received NOTIFY for example.com from X.X.X.X which is not a master
#v-

Since I wanted to debug it the other party is continuously sending
notifies every 60 seconds. Those three events happened during three
consecutive minutes. The number of failed notifies is, however, by an
order of magnitude bigger than those successful ones.

The domain is defined the following way (bind backend):

#v+
zone "example.com" IN {
        type slave;
        masters { X.X.X.X; };
        file ".../example.com.zone";
};
#v-

Commands such as 'pdns_control retrieve example.com' work just fine,
apart from the notification issue, the domain works as it should.

Could anyone share a light on my issue?

I am using the following version of pdns:

#v+
# pdns_control version
2.9.21.1
#v-