[Pdns-users] Help, recursor is too slow, mostly doesn't resolve queries

Eugene Pefti eugenep at w3media.net
Mon Apr 28 20:55:00 UTC 2008

Ok, I was away for some time and then when I came back first thing I did was
to enable locally stored root hint file. That seemingly worked. I had a
feeling that pdns-recursor timed out because of that. I might be wrong. But
it worked for me as it greatly reduced the number of "Exception: unknown
escape sequence" message. They are not completely gone from my pdns.info
file by the way. What do they stand for ?

All dig queries seem to work now without big timeouts though.
These are my rrd graphs to evaluate both recursors:
http://ns1.w3media.net/recursor/
http://ns2.w3media.net/recursor/

I run latest pdns-2.9.21 and pdns-recursor-3.5.1 obtained from
ftp://ftp.monshouwer.eu/pub/linux/
Both nameservers use gmysql backend and I would not say they are loaded too
much. Cpu load is present on one of the graphs.

The number of domains hosted is about 600. Your last question, Bert, about
mixing Authoritative and resolving servers got me unprepared. Is it not
recommended to have them running in one box? I have them listening on
different ports:
PDNS uses port 53 (local-port=53)
And recursor 5300 (recursor=127.0.0.1:5300)

Eugene