[Pdns-users] PDNS 2.9.21 using LOTS of virtual memory...

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Sep 20 21:54:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:52:50PM -0700, Stephen Manchester wrote:
> I've been running PDNS server on CentOS 4.4 for about 3 months now.
> I've noticed that PDNS allocates a LOT of virtual memory as it's
> running, and never frees it up.  It can do this at an incredibly fast
> rate at times, as much as 2.9GB within 24 hours.  Has anyone seen
> this before and know why it might be happening?

Stephen,

How do you measure its actual usage?

The trick is to look at the 'RES' entry of 'top' for example.

Other measurements can be a tad confusing, I think due to the static linking
we employ in our RPMs. The Kees Monshouwer RPMs might be better in this
respect: ftp://ftp.monshouwer.com/pub/linux/pdns-server

	Bert