[Pdns-users] PowerDNS does not expire domains - propagates lame delegation.

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Wed Sep 12 20:55:59 UTC 2007

Hi all,

> > No, I'd say it sounds like a problem too. Having this feature would
be
> > a great addition (and the more "correct" behaviour) for us.
>
> Hehe - we had this discussion some time ago and then the conclusion
was
> the
> exact reverse, that people did not appreciate the DNS 'feature' of
> expiring
> a domain in case of the master being unavailable.
>
> For PowerDNS, implementing this requires actual work either in terms
of
> performing more SQL queries, or actually deleting a zone after a
while.

> Do people really care a lot?
>
> 	Bert

Just to throw my two cents in here, yes, I feel it would be best if the
server's behavior was compliant.

In the situation of master->secondary communication breakdown that's not
immediately noticed, it would be preferable (to a measurable percentage
of us, at least) that the broken secondary server stops being
authoritative rather than provide out-of-date information.

If the user doesn't like this behavior, they have the option to
configure the expiry time to a very large value.

Darren Gamble
Systems Architect, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW