[Pdns-users] Re: Reply source address selection

Phil Cordier philc at gridzones.com
Mon Oct 8 19:13:39 UTC 2007

> I was wondering if there's any work underway, or if anyone has produced
> a patch, that will allow PowerDNS to use the interface that a DNS
> request came in on, as reply source address,

I'd like to second this request. I have a much simpler setup - using
keepalived between two boxes in a master/failover config to maintain a
service oriented VIP for DNS requests.

'query_local_address' works fine for outgoing traffic from the systems -
queries are sent using the bound VIP - but answers to requests coming in
from the network to the VIP are sent out using the systems' own host
IPs. This causes complications with some other networking configurations
(ie NAT), and it just simply a pain to have to deal with.