[Pdns-users] adding non-native replication to existing shared backend

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Mon Nov 26 14:15:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:31:52PM -0800, Jeffrey Wong wrote:
> Bandwidth is limited, so I don't want to have to send all the
> replication logs to the extra server.  And I need to send all the
> replication logs to a different server dedicated to keeping a backup
> of all the databases.
>
> Thanks for the thought though.
>
> On Nov 21, 2007 2:23 PM, Chris Seufert <chris at shopa.com.au> wrote:
> > With MySQL Replication, you can set only which databases are to be
> > replicated, and not replicate ALL of them.
> >

> > Jeffrey Wong wrote:
> > > I have two pdns servers that share a common mysql backend.  I want to
> > > add a third pdns server with its own backend.  This new server is
> > > located elsewhere and using native replication isn't feasible because
> > > of the volume of data that would be sent by mysql (the database server
> > > has many other databases on it).  When I enable master on one of the
> > > two servers, I get a ton of messages in the logfile:
> > >
> > > Nov 20 10:41:43 pink pdns[9504]: Queued notification of domain
> > > '<domain>' to <2nd ip>
> > > Nov 20 10:41:43 pink pdns[9504]: Queued notification of domain
> > > '<domain>' to <local ip>
> > > Nov 20 10:41:43 pink pdns[9504]: Received NOTIFY for <domain> from
> > > <local ip> but slave support is disabled in the configuration
> > > Nov 20 10:41:44 pink pdns[9504]: Received unsuccesful notification
> > > report for '<domain>' from <local ip>, rcode: 4
> > > Nov 20 10:41:44 pink pdns[9504]: Removed from notification list:
> > > '<domain>' to <local ip>
> > >
> > > where domain is any one of the domains managed by pdns, local ip is
> > > the ip of the server set to master, and 2nd ip is the ip of the 2nd
> > > pdns server.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to not send notifications to yourself and only send to
> > > the servers that ask for notifications?  Or is there a way to get rid
> > > of these messages?

Jeffrey,

Here is an idea to help reduce the replication traffic.
Set up an independent PDNS instance with a different
MySQL backend. But use basic AXFY master/slave protocols
to replicate from your existing system. This would not
really help by itself, but if you were to apply the AXFR
performance patch that I posted to the PDNS mailing lists,
the actual updates to your database would be reduced to
only the actual changed rows and values. Then the MySQL
replication would only sends those changes over the
network. Anyway, that is just an idea. Good luck and
please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Ken