[Pdns-users] Getting started with pdns

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jan 18 17:05:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:47:44AM -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:
> Hi -- I'm just getting started with pdns on ubuntu edgy.  I installed
> it using synaptic, which also starts the daemon.  I tried a bunch of
> stuff, e.g. using firefox to visit several websites, then stopped
> firefox, lauched it again and did the same thing again.  Finally, I
> did this:

It is probably running, but it might not be in use. Check your configuration
file if it is listening on the address you think it is listening on (by
default, only 127.0.0.1), and check your /etc/resolv.conf to see if it is
pointing at 127.0.0.1.

Additionally, if you changed resolv.conf, but did not restart firefox, it
might not be aware of the change.

Finally, firefox contains its own cache and might simply not be performing
queries that could be cached.

To get accurate numbers, use 'rec_control get', see
http://doc.powerdns.com/recursor-stats.html for which items you can 'get'.

This may not work if your recursor is too old, unsure what 'edgy' ships.

> 1. Where is the cache stored? Can I vew it?
> 2. Why am I not getting any cache hits?

You'll find instructions on how to dump the cache on or near the link I
mentioned above.

Additionally, try running the recursor with 'quiet=off' or even 'trace=on'
for abundant detail about what is happening.

	Bert