[Pdns-users] Ignoring wildcard CNAME

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 22:52:01 UTC 2007

So I see this topic has come up before, but I see no resolution, and
this looks like a bug in the PowerDNS auth. server; take a zone like
this:

$ORIGIN schwer.us.
@               IN      SOA     ns1.sonic.net.  hostmaster.sonic.net.   (
                IN      A       208.201.227.139
                IN      NS      a.auth-ns.sonic.net.
                IN      NS      b.auth-ns.sonic.net.
                IN      NS      c.auth-ns.sonic.net.
test          IN      A       208.201.227.139
*               IN      CNAME   test

If you query BIND for the NS records of test.schwer.us it will return
NOERROR and the SOA, but if you ask PowerDNS it will return SERVFAIL
the CNAME and the SOA. Returning SERVFAIL seems like the wrong course
of action and depending on your client seems to do weird things; for
example I can surf to http://test.schwer.us , but if I use dnsreport
to find out about the domain it will fail hard:

http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=test.schwer.us

Bug or expected behavior?

--
Augie Schwer    -    Augie at Schwer.us    -    http://schwer.us