[Pdns-users] Problems using PipeBackend, always getting ANY requests...

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Dec 21 14:18:30 UTC 2007

Ben, Duane,

This is not a bug. DNS queries are not backend queries - a DNS query is
typically changed into a number of backend queries. As an optimization,
PowerDNS always initially does an ANY query.

This allows it to prevent the initial CNAME query, that is always needed.

Backends should not internally need to deal with CNAMEs, which is why
PowerDNS translates a query for an A record into an ANY query. If the ANY
query contains a CNAME, that CNAME is followed. If it contains an A query,
the answer is in.

The example Perl pipe backend included with PowerDNS contains logic that
implements the ANY query so it returns all records for the requested domain
name.

I hope this answers your question. In your case, simply return the NAPTR
record when an ANY query comes in.

Good luck!