[Pdns-users] recursor can't refresh the . records

thomas polnik thomas at polnik.de
Thu Aug 9 20:30:08 UTC 2007

Dear Matt,
> We recently had the same issue crop up on our pdns cache servers.  We
> noticed a few users were pounding the servers pretty good with
> requests most likely from a virus on their machines.
>
> The one thing that we noticed was that the pdns process was hitting a
> file descriptor limit when this log message would appear.  We have
> since upped the limit ( ulimit -n 32768) and things appear to be
> running better.  But there may be a small file descriptor leak that is
> causing this behavior.
>
> Pdns_recursor —version-string returns:
> <snip>
> Aug 09 14:42:46 PowerDNS recursor 3.1.3 (C) 2001-2006 PowerDNS.COM BV
> (Nov 28 2006, 01:15:47, gcc 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux))
> starting up
> </snip>

I thank you for this advice, I will check it tommorw. On this systems
run only a recursor. I started with many stress tests some month ago, I
checked cpu and memory, but there were no problems. This systems get
normally 200 request/second, I think this is really low traffic.

Best regards,
thomas polnik.