[Pdns-users] recursor can't refresh the . records

Matt Patterson MPatterson at lightedge.com
Thu Aug 9 19:45:58 UTC 2007

We recently had the same issue crop up on our pdns cache servers.  We noticed a few users were pounding the servers pretty good with requests most likely from a virus on their machines.

The one thing that we noticed was that the pdns process was hitting a file descriptor limit when this log message would appear.  We have since upped the limit ( ulimit -n 32768) and things appear to be running better.  But there may be a small file descriptor leak that is causing this behavior.

Pdns_recursor -version-string returns:
<snip>
Aug 09 14:42:46 PowerDNS recursor 3.1.3 (C) 2001-2006 PowerDNS.COM BV (Nov 28 2006, 01:15:47, gcc 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) starting up
</snip>

Matt Patterson
mpatterson at lightedge.com

On 8/9/07 2:17 PM, "bert hubert" <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:46:35AM +0200, thomas polnik wrote:
> Until yesterday I get follow message every 2 or 3 hours:
> Aug  9 07:28:22 resolver01 pdns_recursor[20236]: Failed to update .
> records, RCODE=2

Odd - I haven't seen this happen yet. Did you truly have 6 months of
recursor uptime?

> Has anybody an idea, what could be the reason for this problem? Should
> I use a static hint file (and refresh it every week manually)?

No, that is not necessary.

        Bert