[Pdns-users] Logging level

Martijn Grendelman martijn at pocos.nl
Tue Sep 12 11:01:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

A question for the programming crew..

I have three quite busy servers, that were running with a (RHEL) default
loglevel of 6 up to now.

These servers log a LOT of "Received a malformed qdomain from ... :
dropping" and "Not authoritative for ... (recursion was desired)", both
of which I dont give a rat's ass about. They cause my log files to be >
100 MB each day.

Now, I tried to decrease the log level, to get rid of those messages,
but it appears it's (almost) all or nothing here.

The former message is logged as an Error, the latter as a Warning. I
would say it makes more sense to log both as a Notice, since neither
situation usually requires administrative intervention.

Other messages, about notifications and such, are also logged as
Warnings, which makes sense to me. I would like to see those. However, I
can't, since I have to set loglevel to 2, to keep my logs clean.

Would you guys consider changing this?

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman