[Pdns-users] Attempting to use single pipe-backend process

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Oct 20 23:43:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:47:46AM +0930, Chris Foote wrote:

> If that doesn't sound plausible, then can PowerDNS guarantee that
> a single custom backend module runs ?

Chris,

I appreciate your problem, but the entire design of PowerDNS entails that it
feels free to create new backend instances at a whim. It woul require a
major overhaul to eradicate this built-in assumption that setting up a
backend is something you can just do.

For you, this means that you'll have to write a shim - a small program that
can be started as many times as powerdns wants, that proxies connections to
your 1G process that stays around.

This should be very doable - all you need to do is set up a TCP connection
to your process, and repeat the commands. Your eventual server does need to
be able to handle multiple simultaneous queries though!

Good luck. I'm sorry we can't help you from the PowerDNS 'core', the
distributor-threads setting is something designed to tune the number of
connections being made to the database, it was never meant to absolutely
guarantee a number of connections.

	Bert