[Pdns-users] resursion to BIND

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 01:03:03 UTC 2006

I'm having a problem with pdns recursion. It may be just my
understanding of DNS that is broken, in which case I apologise.

I have a pgsql backend which is serving a domain: X.com

X.com is just virtualhost information so it contains lots of records
thus:

  www.X.com  CNAME realserver.Y.com.

all the information for Y.com is contained in another (BIND) DNS
server (which implements split horizon).

What I'm trying to do is get the answer from pdns to include the
information from the BIND server at:

   172.31.1.3.

I have a pdns.conf like this:

  recursor=172.31.1.3
  allow-axfr-ips=127.0.0.1,172.31.0.0/16
  disable-axfr=no
  master=yes
  loglevel=20
  log-dns-details=yes
  log-failed-updates=yes
  launch=gpgsql
  gpgsql-host=127.0.0.1
  gpgsql-user=db
  gpgsql-password=db
  gpgsql-dbname=db

On the pdns box, when I do an AXFR or a non-recrusive query I get the
correct details:

   pdns:/# host -r www.X.com
   Using domain server:
   Name: localhost
   Address: 127.0.0.1#53
   Aliases:

   www.X.com is an alias for realserver.Y.com.

however, when I do a "normal" client query against pdns I get 'not
found'.

When I look at the packets it looks as if the BIND server is being
asked it's views on www.X.com resolution. I thought that pdns would
first resolve the part this it *is* authoritative for and then ask the
recursor to find the rest.

Am I wrong? Have I misunderstood? Or is something stranger than that
going on here?

I'm using a debian pdns marked as version 2.9.20-6.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs