[Pdns-users] Some PowerDNS Recursor oddities

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue May 16 19:58:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 09:55:56AM -0600, Darren Gamble wrote:

> Well, it certainly does cause problems.  If I set my TTL values for 1H,
> I would like to ensure no one caches them longer than that, even if a
> higher-level server says otherwise.  It may be my records frequently
> change.  Or, it may be that I just want to do a migration and want to
> reduce my downtime.  As to the problems it would cause "the other way",
> well, I'm really not sure how bad the impact is.

Darren - except for the NS records itself, everything you want to do works
as you describe above. The only time when you hit a "problem" would be when
you truly change nameservers or nameserver IP addresses.

Additionaly, as of this afternoon (see my earlier message), PowerDNS can be
made to emulate what BIND does exactly.

I'll explain in more detail later, am busy now.

Good luck!