[SOLVED] Re: [Pdns-users] Windows: pdns_server works in a cmd box, but not as a winXP service

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat May 6 08:37:51 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 5. Mai 2006 01:49 schrieb Gerhard Gaußling:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to install pdns on a friends win xp system, but I didn't
> understand, why asking the recursor through pdns_server in a cmd box
> works, but as a xp service not.
>
> Could it be due to wrong configuration during install, and therefor
> wrong configuration options in the registry for the service?
>
> Is the service independant of pdns.conf, but the cmd startup of
> pdns_server depends on pdns.conf?
>
> Should I do an `pdns.exe --unregister-service` (Is that the right
> option to unregister the PowerDNS service ??). And reinstall the
> service?
>
> What's wrong?
`pdns.exe --unregister-service` didn't suffice. I guess I had to
uninstall pdns complete, because I interrupted the install process
during configuring the odbc test database.

I figured out, that pdns.exe --help shows all the needed cmd
options ;-).

Also , on a clean install with a initial fine configuration the problem
with running pdns.exe as a service on winXP x64 didn't appear.

> BTW: Should I upgrade to
> http://svn.powerdns.com/PowerDNS%20Recursor.exe (368kb!)
> due to security issues (d-o-s attacks), because earlier versions are
> lacking the allow-from option?
Like you can read in the README (announcement post of bert hubert):
Missing:
        IPv6 listening support
        rec_control
        logging to the event log