[Pdns-users] Windows: pdns_server works in a cmd box, but not as a winXP service

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Thu May 4 23:49:23 UTC 2006

Hello,

I wanted to install pdns on a friends win xp system, but I didn't
understand, why asking the recursor through pdns_server in a cmd box
works, but as a xp service not.

Could it be due to wrong configuration during install, and therefor
wrong configuration options in the registry for the service?

Is the service independant of pdns.conf, but the cmd startup of
pdns_server depends on pdns.conf?

Should I do an `pdns.exe --unregister-service` (Is that the right option
to unregister the PowerDNS service ??). And reinstall the service?

What's wrong?

BTW: Should I upgrade to
http://svn.powerdns.com/PowerDNS%20Recursor.exe (368kb!)
due to security issues (d-o-s attacks), because earlier versions are
lacking the allow-from option?

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling