[Pdns-users] Using AXFR vs. Mysql Replication

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Fri Jun 23 23:03:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:37:22AM -0700, Max Clark wrote:
> So the general consensus seems to be AXFR replication is not a good
> idea. We've lost name resolution a couple of times now because of
> issues with Mysql replication (and once because mysql went down
> causing the nameservers to go down, which caused name resolution for
> client access to fail when we tried to bring the nameservers back up -
> really stupid problem).
>
> Outside of pulling the zones into tinydns format and replicating that
> - is there another option that I should be looking at?

Weeeell. My opinon is that of someone doing AXFR replication,
and seeing the bad side of that, and thinking that on the other
side of the fence, the grass is greener.

If you're having problems with mysql replication, then look at
the problems I have with AXFR replication, and maybe you'll
decide that AXFR replication is better in your situation.

I know that AXFR replication can get me a call saying "how come
my domain is not up to date on the secondary", but I've never
ever come close to even thinking that something might ever
impact *all* my domains.

HTH.