[Pdns-users] Domain is stale

bsd at de.clara.net bsd at de.clara.net
Fri Jun 23 12:26:19 UTC 2006

bert hubert schrieb:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:39:28PM +0200, bsd at de.clara.net wrote:
>
>>> When it doesn't help, does it never help, no matter how many times you try?
>> I tried again with "while true; do pdns_control retrieve domain; done
>
> When you do, you do get this:
>
>  "Added retrieval request for '"+domain+"' from master "+di.master;
>
> from pdns_control, even when nothing happens?
yes, i get that.. and a few seconds later I get see again the stale
message in my logs. With the loop, I get some stale messages and
sometimes it works.

>> 1 minute later, it works:
>> pdns[77216]: AXFR started for 'foo', transaction started
>> pdns[77216]: AXFR done for 'foo', zone committed
>
> Can you time? Is it *Exactly* one minute later?
It was around one minute with this domain, I tried with another ones and
those took longer, one about 2 minutes and one even about 5 minutes.
Till it succeeds I get some of these stale messages.

> Have you configured slave-cycle-interval perhaps?
yes, to 300. But as far I understood, that's the interval if a soa check
failed.

>> Could it be a database problem? The db runs on the same machine.
>
> I don't think so, but it might be. What happens is that an AXFR is only
> queued by pdns_control. Then there is a loop that checks if there is
> something that needs to be AXFRd. This loop might not be running, or running
> slowly.
>
> That in turn might be caused by database problems. Which backend do you use?
I use mysql 4.0.27/innodb running on the same machine with the gmysql
backend. On this nameserver are around 3000 slave zones.

Michael