[Pdns-users] Delegation / recursion bug ?

Martijn Grendelman martijn at pocos.nl
Fri Jul 21 12:34:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a zone in PowerDNS (2.9.20) that contains NS records for a
sub-domain in order to delegate authority over that sub-domein.

Delegation is set up as follows:

*.startpagina.nl    CNAME    dochters.gl.startpagina.nl
gl.startpagina.nl   NS	     gl1.startpagina.nl
gl.startpagina.nl   NS       gl2.startpagina.nl

So, when I ask for 'foo.startpagina.nl', I should be directed to the
mentioned nameservers.

Now, a query without 'RD' set, is answered nicely:

$ host -r -a foo.startpagina.nl ns6.ilse.nl

;; ANSWER SECTION:
foo.startpagina.nl.     300     IN      CNAME   dochters.gl.startpagina.nl.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gl.startpagina.nl.      3600    IN      NS      gl1.startpagina.nl.
gl.startpagina.nl.      3600    IN      NS      gl2.startpagina.nl.

However, a query _with_ recursion desired is served 'SERVFAIL', even
when recursion is allowed.

In the log, I find:

Ignoring wildcard CNAME 'dochters.gl.startpagina.nl' pointing at itself

which is not correct. It would be, if those NS records weren't present,
but in this case, the wildcard CNAME is pointing to a host that is
served by a different nameserver.

So, my conclusion would be that delegation in combination with recursion
doesn't work the way it should. Am I right?

Best regards,

Martijn Grendelman