[Pdns-users] Recursor backend timeout

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Jan 14 17:26:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:15:56AM -0000, Olly Butterfield wrote:

> nameserver on one IP and bind running on another IP to act as a recursive
> backend for pdns. Bind has been set up to provide recursion only, and all
> queries come into pdns. This worked fine for months, but recently there are
> periods of an hour or an hour and a half, starting at a fixed time like 12am
> or 4am where pdns reports that the backend times out.

This is very most likely not a powerdns problem. Bind has the habit of not
answering questions if it can't find an answer.

> And from then on, we get a mixture of the two until it decides to start
> working again. Nothing in the bind logging shows anything untoward, so it
> looks like for some reason pdns just can't be bothered to forward it to
> bind.

Are you sure things don't work when you get these messages? Almost everybody
gets these warning every once in a while but they generally don't mean
anything.

Try tcpdumping to be sure if questions get forwarded.

Good luck!