[Pdns-users] [LdapBackend] Ldap connection closed

Norbert Sendetzky norbert at linuxnetworks.de
Sat Feb 25 13:54:43 UTC 2006

Hi Tomas

> we are using pdns 2.9.19 with ldap backend.
>
> Whenever I do:
> > dig 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa @pdns_server
>
> I can see this in pdns logs:
>
> [LdapBackend] Request for reverse zone AXFR, but this is not supported
> in strict mode
> Backend error: Backend error trying to determine magic serial number of
> zone '1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa'
> [LdapBackend] Ldap connection closed
> [LdapBackend] Ldap connection succeeded

The problem is that pdns throws an exception in the default implementation of
getSOA() if the backend returns false for AXFRs - and it shouldn't do this
because if there is a severe problem, the backend should throw the exception
itself. I've attached a diff which fixes the problem.

> Note that localhost DNS record is present in LDAP and I'm running LDAP
> backend in strict mode:
>
> dn: dc=localhost,dc=xxx.yy,ou=dns,dc=xxx,dc=yy
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: dNSDomain
> objectClass: domainRelatedObject
> dc: localhost
> aRecord: 127.0.0.1
> associatedDomain: localhost

The request will be now ansered correctly but is not authoritive in your case.
You should add a new "localhost" domain with a SOA entry like you would do
for a Bind setup. Otherwise pdns will do six lookups per request in vain.

Best regards

Norbert
--
OpenPGP public key