[Pdns-users] in.addr-arpa delegation

Lorens Kockum lorens-pdns-3987 at tagged.lorens.org
Fri Feb 24 13:17:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:27:15AM -0500, Derrik Pates wrote:
> Max Clark wrote:
> > Derrik,
> >
> > While RFC 2317 covers classless delegation for subnets smaller than a
> > /24 it does not cover delegation for subnets equal to or larger than a
> > /24. If I have a /20 assigned from ARIN that points to my nameservers
> > - how do I delegate a /24 to my customer's nameservers using powerdns
> > without using the classless delegation approach?
>
> You can't really redelegate an *entire* zone in place; DNS doesn't
> support it. You could do a per-record redelegation, though that's pretty
> ugly; at least in this case you wouldn't be breaking DNS' hierarchy though.

Max, the thing is that you have a /20 assigned by ARIN, but I
think ARIN delegates 16 /24s to you, and Derrik is saying that
you can't redelegate the whole /24.

If you had a /16 the case would be totally trivial, not
involving RFC 2317 at all :-)

> > I know this is possible with an ARIN SWIP of the IP space - I am
> > trying to avoid doing this with SWIPs.

Why?  I have no experience with ARIN, but since (I suppose) ARIN
delegates 16 /24, can't you just say that one of those /24s has
different name servers?