[Pdns-users] in.addr-arpa delegation

Derrik Pates demon at devrandom.net
Fri Feb 24 12:27:15 UTC 2006

Max Clark wrote:
> Derrik,
>
> While RFC 2317 covers classless delegation for subnets smaller than a
> /24 it does not cover delegation for subnets equal to or larger than a
> /24. If I have a /20 assigned from ARIN that points to my nameservers
> - how do I delegate a /24 to my customer's nameservers using powerdns
> without using the classless delegation approach?

You can't really redelegate an *entire* zone in place; DNS doesn't
support it. You could do a per-record redelegation, though that's pretty
ugly; at least in this case you wouldn't be breaking DNS' hierarchy though.

> I know this is possible with an ARIN SWIP of the IP space - I am
> trying to avoid doing this with SWIPs.

If you want clean, it might be your only option; per-record redelegation
would work though. Of course, you could always delegate it to them as
two /25s in the RFC 2317 notation...

--
Derrik Pates
demon at devrandom.net