[Pdns-users] PDNS recursor question

Sharan Harkisoon sharan at sharktek.net
Fri Feb 17 15:05:24 UTC 2006

Does the PDNS recursor have a quicker timeout than Bind?  The reason I
ask is because a couple of weeks ago, our customers were complaining
about not being able to get to 'sbac.edu'.  It turns out only 1 of 3 of
their authoritative dns servers were working at the time, and the server
that was working took quite a while for it to respond (the server
reports >80ms latency and the hop count is quite high).  Oddly enough,
bind was able to return a reply every time, and the pdns_recursor was
failing sporadically.

Is there a way to tweak pdns_recursor in order to deal with poorly
configured authoritative servers?