[Pdns-users] mx failure scenario

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 21:35:14 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, gnu not unix <gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us> wrote:
> I have a problem with my parent zone (sf.ca.us), where they
> are running powerdns (they used to run bind), and this change
> seems to have resulted in my loss of email connectivity.
> It seems that an MX query to the sf.ca.us (parent zone) powerdns
> name server for wraith.sf.ca.us is returning "not found" and
> causing gmail (among others) to fail in email delivery.

I'm not sure I see a problem:

[augie at augnix ~]$ dig mx wraith.sf.ca.us +short
512 smidge.wraith.sf.ca.us.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=wraith.sf.ca.us.

Now if you ask (a|b|c).auth-ns.sonic.net for the MX record you are
right it does not answer with authoritative data, but then those
servers are not authoritative for your zone; they are authoritative
for the sf.ca.us zone, but then that's not the zone you are asking
about.

Your name servers (wraith.sf.ca.us and smidge.wraith.sf.ca.us) are the
ones that should be answering authoritatively for that zone (and they
are), so your parent zone's name servers must be delegating to you
instead of answering authoritatively.

Also from several hosts I am unable to query one of your name servers:

<augie at enigma> ~ $ dig mx wraith.sf.ca.us @smidge.wraith.sf.ca.us

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> mx wraith.sf.ca.us @smidge.wraith.sf.ca.us
;; global options:  printcmd

Augie Schwer    -    Augie at Schwer.us    -    http://schwer.us