[Pdns-users] Domains with binary (e.g. UTF-8) labels

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Dec 16 21:17:23 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 09:00:11PM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> I am having problems with getting the PowerDNS authoritative server to
> serve domains that have binary labels.  For instance, I have a domain with
> an UTF-8 encoded label: "???????????????.mehnle.net".

To encode utf-8 domains so that they work, use 'IDN'.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

> Is there a way for serving domains with binary labels with PDNS?  As far as
> I can see, this is legal within the DNS RFCs.

Read for example paragraph 3.5 of RFC 1035, which contains: "The labels must
follow the rules for ARPANET host names." Others have interpreted this as
not disallowing "high-ascii" in labels, but the author of this nameserver
doesn't.

Even if we would support arbitrary values, things are unlikely to work as
intended. IDN was invented for a reason.

	Bert