[Pdns-users] Re: Suggestion....

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Sat Aug 26 09:44:12 UTC 2006

bert hubert wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:33:54PM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > Let me guess, you are using MySQL?
>
> This is the PowerDNS mailing list, not the 'flame MySQL to death' list.

I apologize if my statements came over as "MySQL death flames", but for the
record I'd like to point out again my original statement and what Mark
read into it:

Mark Martin wrote:
| Julian Mehnle wrote:
| | Let me guess, you are using MySQL?
| |
| | In reality there are RDBMSes that _do_ support an IP address datatyle
| | natively and that sort that datatype correctly, such as PostgreSQL.
| | There's really no point in adding redundant data to the tables just to
| | accommodate ignorant database systems.
| |
| | If your RDBMS supports views, you can store IP addresses in integer
| | format and generate the data required by PowerDNS on the fly from that.
| | Or you could make custom SQL queries in PDNS to do the same.
|
| So I guess it would be safe to say, that all databases that are not like
| postgres should be destroyed?  Or not used?  [...]

I really don't see how Mark got so offended by my initial reply.  It hardly
even qualifies as a MySQL flame...

The points of my second reply to Mark were to further refute the idea that
PDNS should make up for MySQL's lack of a compact and sortable IP address
datatype by using the "int" type, and that "it was a business decision"
never is a good argument.  Again, I apologize for wording it as offensive
as I did.

> And please don't flame, I really hate it when this happens. We have fine
> support for all databases and we don't want to bother people too much in
> their choices.

I never challenged that -- only the idea that the PDNS default DB schema
should be adjusted to make up for MySQL's said deficiency.