[Pdns-users] Re: Suggestion....

Operations ops1 at frontierbroadband.com
Sat Aug 26 02:24:33 UTC 2006

Julian Mehnle wrote:

>Mark Martin wrote:
>

>>Julian Mehnle wrote:
>>

>>>[...]
>>>If your RDBMS supports views, you can store IP addresses in integer
>>>format and generate the data required by PowerDNS on the fly from
>>>that.  Or you could make custom SQL queries in PDNS to do the same.
>>>

>>So I guess it would be safe to say, that all databases that are not like
>>postgres should be destroyed?  Or not used?
>>

>Well, not all databases are alike.  Some have more features than others.
>If you insist on using a database that has _fewer_ features, there are
>obviously some consequences...
>

>>Even if your shop, uses one kind and does not use the other?  For
>>whatever reasons, maybe it is a business decision.
>>

>Yeah, brain-dead "business decisions" are being made all the time.
>
>I _do_ recognize that there may be valid reasons for choosing MySQL over
>PostgreSQL or other mature RDBMSes.  (I just don't know any, personally.)
>

>>Thanks for your input, nonetheless.
>>

>It seems you chose to deliberately ignore my advice on using views (which
>MySQL 5+ supports), or custom queries, for bridging the gap between
>efficient storage, appropriate sorting order, and output format suitable
>for PDNS.  Your choice.

For the record, I didn't choose anything ***yet***, whatever I choose
will be my decision,
and it will be based on many more opinions than your own.  If yours is
all I get, then I will
probably deal with it in a manner that suits our business model.  To
affirm one thing, just
because you think things are braindead, doesn't mean they are.  I have
been doing database
work for over 15 years, and with many more than mysql and postgres.
Just because you
think you have all of the answers does not imply you have the answers
for everyone, your
sheer arrogance and demeanor betray any offerings of logic that one
could possibly gleen
from your insight.   Sir, from another standpoint, and not even giving
you the benefit of
good or bad, I say, I believe quite rightly, your approach and arrogance
to be, it is a shame,
you may even be right, but your tact SUCKS.  I do believe, you my
acquaintance are in fact
braindead.   Go admire yourself in the mirror.