[Pdns-users] Host looks causing issues

Tony Adams aadams at esnet.com
Tue Aug 15 18:38:31 UTC 2006

There was a fix to the way that the PowerDNS recursor returns UDP
replies.  The fix changed the behavior of the recursor so that it would
return as much information as it could in a single UDP packet, this
should be sufficient for nearly all applications (read, I can't think of
a situation where it would be a problem).  Initially if a domain
administrator configured a very large number of MX records for their
domain (earthlink was where I ran into the issue) then reply would be
too large to send in a UDP packet.  The reply would be truncated and you
get the behavior that you're seeing.  You can work around this by
allowing your recursor to answer TCP queries, or upgrade to a later
version of the PowerDNS recursor that includes the fix.

Tony Adams
Sr. Systems Engineer
E Solutions Corporation