[Pdns-users] CNAME resolution with Windows 2003

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Apr 22 19:13:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 07:56:00AM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
> What is happening is that a number of domains hosted on our DNS have
> records that are aliases to CNAMEs which the server is not authoratative
> for. The server is returning an NXDOMAIN response along with the CNAME
> but some Windows 2003 servers are then giving up at that point and
> passing this back to the client. The calling application then thinks the
> domain doesn't exist.

This is not how PowerDNS was designed, and shows you have probably made an
operating error:

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> .                       10800   IN      SOA
> dns0.positive-internet.com. hostmaster.positive-internet.com. 1145731650
> 10800 3600 3600000 3600

You've made your server authoritative for the root zone, in which case it
has all the right to hand out an NXDOMAIN, as it feels sure there is no and
won't be a record for the right hand side of your CNAME.

I suggest you investigate where this . record comes from.

Good luck!